Evaluation and Measurement of Online Courses
Course Developer and Lecturer
Dr. Nellie Deutsch
Evaluation and Measurement is a 14-week course that focuses on evaluating and measuring the layout, instructional design, and learning outcomes of online courses and programs, as well as student feedback, for the purpose of improvement. Participants will learn about the criteria involved in evaluating online courses. They will use action research to evaluate and measure their online learning courses and programs. Participants will be introduced to blended and fully online courses, action research projects including problem statements and purpose of evaluating online courses, literature review, research design, data collection, data analyses, oral presentations, and written reports so they can evaluate their online courses.
Course Objectives and Outline
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Define face-to-face, blended, and fully online courses;
- Define evaluation and measurement of online courses from the literature;
- Adapt a working definition of evaluation and measurement of online courses;
- Identify competencies that require evaluation in an online course;
- Evaluate student engagement with the content, peers, and instructor;
- Identify expectations of an online course;
- Identify whether the expectations were met;
- Identify problems that may have prevented the expectations from being met;
- Identify areas requiring research and assessment in evaluating an online course;
- Define action research for educational purposes;
- Identify the basic steps in developing an action research plan to evaluate an online course;
- Examine scholarly literature in order to document research problems and solutions in conducting online courses;
- Examine methods of collecting, analyzing, and organizing data for the purpose of evaluating an online course;
- Develop a questionnaire for a needs assessment for participants of an online course;
The course will take place on the Moodle platform. It will consist of 14 weekly sections, each of which will include resources (text and video) and activities. Participants will interact with the content, each other, and the instructor. In addition, a synchronous modality will be used at the beginning, middle, and end of the course, using BlackBoard and WizIQ virtual classes.
The course is intended for teachers and educators who wish to improve their online courses or programs. It is suitable for teachers and educators from all disciplines and requires no previous experience with research.
- Academic English skills
- Basic computer and Internet literacy
- Need for the course
A single course costs 250$.
Wish to register for more than one course?
Seeking discounts and scholarships?