An article by the Lecturer:
Information literacy: How to search, access and retrieve information sources
Course Developer and Lecturer
Dr. Riki Greenberg (MLIS)
In the age of information proliferation, the need to acquire skills for understanding and discerning the wide range of sources available via the WWW has become critical. Proficiency in searching, locating, accessing, and evaluating information sources is important in all fields. The course will provide students with a practical knowledge of information literacy skills, specifically the processes of conducting searches and accessing various information sources. Teachers will gain additional skills and orientations for coping with their students' digital information environments and abilities. Awareness and a better understanding of the information world will enrich and diversify the teaching experience for both teachers and students. Teachers will also be exposed to open courseware sources and benefit from the richness and diversity of the materials.
The course will offer practice in searching and retrieving information sources from the Invisible Web as well as in the efficient use of popular search engines. The course is conducted as a workshop; assignments will be given throughout its duration.
Course Objectives and Outline
- Introduction to the Internet and the Web
- Information literacy skills for educators as a crucial component of 21st-century education
- Information search - basic and advanced techniques
- Social network search engines as an information tool
- Searching the Invisible Web (in different subjects)
- Multimedia search (images, movies, videos, music, and games)
- Open access to reference and academic sources
- Searching, retrieving, and accessing E-books
- Open educational databases and open courseware
- E-commerce and economic information sources
- Evaluation of information sources
- Big data
The course outline
The target population of the course is wide and heterogeneous. It includes educators, teachers, scholars, and people employed in a wide variety of disciplines.
- English fluency;
- Computer literacy.
A single course costs 250$.
Wish to register for more than one course?
Seeking discounts and scholarships?
For information, click here